Turkish Coffee Reading – Cup Symbols Telling Fortune
Turkish coffee reading is certainly a very popular ritual in the countries that favor this type of coffee.
You can check it out, either for fun or serious approach.
Therefore, here you will find everything you need to know about the way that the professionals approach the matter.
Using the correct utensils, such as pot and cup, helps a lot in the creation of sharp unquestionable symbols.
So, relax and enjoy your coffee. And who knows, maybe you hold your future without knowing it…
Turkish Coffee Readings – Coffee Grounds With Value
In general, Turkish coffee reading is a practice for interpreting cup’s coffee grounds as well as these on the saucer.
To begin with some sort of history this event started in Turkey in the 16th century.
Until now, tasseography (or tasseomancy) is the academic term for Turkish coffee fortune telling.
This type of coffee leaves not only thick but also muddy sediment at the bottom of the cup.
If you swirl the cup and turn it upside down then the grounds will fall down. Consequently, they will leave some patterns on the surface of the cup.
Of course, there are a lot of people who believe in coffee cup reading. The images and shapes created in the coffee ground have predictable future happening meanings.
Coffee grounds’ meaning became available after decoding certain shapes that people started seeing in their cups. An expert Turkish coffee fortune teller can see special icons that either suggest symbols or they relate to certain events.
The important part of reading Turkish coffee grounds is to interpret the impression and not isolated symbols.
Turkish coffee reading is very popular in Turkey and Greece. In addition to them you can also find it in the Arab world, Russia and Middle East countries.
Besides the above regions, US, Canada, Australia and UK recently became big followers as well. Obviously, all of them have large immigrant population from coffee cup reading regions.
Each culture has its own rituals and traditions related to coffee prediction.
Religion is a significant part of coffee cup readings. However, it is understandable that a few symbols must have different reading approach. (Examples include cross, church, mosque, abbey, angel, bishop, etc.).
Fortune Telling Turkish Coffee Brands and Utensils
For this type of fortune telling any Turkish style coffee brand will perform coffee ground readings just fine. To put it differently, there is no special coffee brand for this job. But it MUST be Turkish ground (powder). Otherwise the marks would be so light, almost impossible to recognize any of them.
Every cup reader uses coffee of her/his preference. In order to see examples of the best coffee brands you can use follow these links.
In fact, my 3 traditional recipes (Turkish, Greek and Israeli) that I have at my site for making Turkish style coffee need a little twist. Add an extra half teaspoon of ground coffee into the traditional coffee making pot.
Below you can check online stores for a proper Turkish coffee pot. It’s an essential utensil to prepare the correct coffee for cup reading purposes.
This small extra addition will create a thicker amount of grounds. It is just a helping hand in the final practice of the Turkish coffee readings.
It is also very important to pour your coffee into a plain white cup. The contrast of black and white makes images sharp / easy to read.
Since authentic Turkish cups are expensive or very difficult to find just “white” consider the espresso cups. Some of them can easily replace the original cups.
You can navigate around AMAZON and EBAY to see what they have.
You need that to have accurate coffee cup fortune telling session. That’s why all the professionals have this type of coffee cup.
General Turkish Coffee Cup Reading rules
There are people who do it professionally. Everyone can try it for the fun of it!
Coffee readers are able to interpret the patterns in the coffee cup. They tell the person about past, present and future happenings in his/hers life.
Reading coffee cups regularly it will make you able to recognize lots of the symbols and their meaning.
Check these general rules that cover the basics of Turkish coffee reading:
- You shouldn’t interpret your own cup. (If you will do it just for practicing symbol learning, it’s OK).
- You don’t give the same cup to a different reader to double check the given reading. Have in mind that most of the professionals perform “whole impression” and not just cup reading symbols.
- Turkish cup fortune telling always starts from the cup’s handle. You move from right to left if the person is right-handed or left to right for left-handed.
How to Read Turkish Coffee – The Cup Reading Preparation
Turkish coffee reading begins with the traditional cup preparation. The purpose of this procedure is to create readable cup and saucer patterns.
1. Relax and sip slowly your Turkish coffee from the same side of the cup.
NOTE: Leave one-sip liquid in the cup. It will help the sediments get loose in the swirling process.
2. After the last sip make a personal wish.
NOTE: In Turkish coffee reading this aspect is very important. As a matter of fact, the reader will tell you if your wish will come true.
3. Place the saucer over the top of the cup (face on) to cover it. Make sure that you seal it very well.
4. Hold the coffee cup set with your hands in front of your chest level.
5. Make 3 horizontal circles clockwise. Your target is to move the sediment around and evenly spread it around the entire inside surface of the cup.
6. Turn the coffee cup set upside down (flip it) with a quick movement. This action will bring the sediments down to the saucer, leaving the necessary patterns that a coffee reader needs.
7. Pass the coffee cup set to the coffee fortune teller.
8. The reader leaves the cup for 5 to 10 minutes to drain completely and cool. The sediments will slowly slide in the saucer and will create the final patterns inside the cup.
- If you prefer to investigate relationships you put a ring on the back surface of the cup.
- If the reading session is about money then you must put a coin on the back surface of the cup.
9. The cup reader returns you any object that you have put on the cup. At That point he/she tries to gently separate the cup from the saucer. The excess sediments slide out from the handle side of the cup.
- If a big chunk of grounds falls on the saucer it’s the first positive sign of your reading. “Trouble and worries are leaving you”.
- If the fallen ground forms a pile means “Money will come to you”.
- If cup-saucer are tight and the reader can lift them up as one unit, it’s a“Prophet’s cup”. (Meaning: You don’t need to proceed with reading. “All your wishes will come true!” Most of the readers though will proceed with the reading regardless of that…).
10. The coffee reader overturns the cup and holds it upright. The shapes inside the cup and the saucer will constitute some meanings deserving explanation. Turkish coffee reading begins…
Turkish Coffee Reading – The Cup Division Approach
Nevertheless, Turkish coffee reading has a lot of aspects to consider. One significant part is to find the positive and negative signs in the cup.
Coffee grounds fortune telling professionals pay significant attention to where symbols appear on the cup. They develop personal preferences and they stick to a single method.
Coffee cup readers follow their own pattern of reading cup sections.
5 major categories
(1) 5-section Turkish coffee reading cup
The division of the cup takes place in its middle section. In other words, there are three areas determining the quality of a symbol: handle, front rim and bottom area.
- Left area = Present time
- Right area = Future time
- Handle area = Love life related events
- Front rim area = Wealth matters
- Bottom cup area = Home and family affairs
(2) 4-section Turkish coffee reading cup
From the cup’s handle imagine two lines, one horizontal and one vertical that divide the cup into four sections.
- Vertical axis - Right = Positive events
- Vertical axis - Left = Negative events
- Horizontal axis – Up = Near future
- Horizontal axis – Down = Long future
(3) 2-section Turkish coffee reading cup
Divide the cup into 2 sections from its handle.
- Left = Past and near present concerning your home. You can see symbols which you can interpret as good things (positive area).
- Right = Future events concerning the Out-Of-Home environment. You can consider it as a negative area with evil things.
(4) Rim-bottom Turkish coffee reading pattern.
- Close to the rim = Present or near present.
- Bottom = Future happenings.
(5) 3-horizontal parts Turkish coffee reading cup
3 parts cup division: Every part has a unique role in symbol appearance.
- Top = Future approaching events
- Middle = Present status
- Bottom = Past situations, mostly related with home, family and relationships
Other important aspects for consideration with any of the above categories:
- SIZE of symbol. As a result, the big ones have great importance. The invisible symbols are effective-less on the cup interpretation.
Example: Big symbols near the top = “Something important will happen very soon…”
- NEAR or AROUND THE HANDLE symbols. Events that will occur in the person’s house or love life.
Turkish Coffee Reading Symbols – How to Read Coffee Fortune
Turkish coffee reading symbols are shapes with various meanings. Some of them receive global acceptance by coffee symbol interpreters worldwide.
It is true that two different readers can interpret the same cup in a diverse way. In Turkish fortune telling there is no right or wrong.
Due to this fact, every reader has a unique way of seeing shapes in the cup. His or her talent to interpret them and weave them to a concrete conclusion makes the difference.
Professional coffee readers divide Turkish coffee fortune reading into two parts:
(1) Saucer & (2) Cup
Hence, a Turkish coffee reading session is complete after the reader checks both of them for connecting symbols.
It represents the person’s home. Saucer signs give a lot of explanations about private or love life.
It represents the person’s out-of-home activities. Cup signs concentrate in answers in regards to business, work,investments and evil eye.
Family and friendship affairs are serious part of cup reading.
The starting point of Turkish cup reading
Turkish coffee reading starts with the sediment in the cup.
- General distribution of the coffee grounds in the cup.
- The sediment color.
- The bottom of the cup.
- General distribution of the coffee grounds in the cup.
All the details as a FREE lesson are here.
How to Read Coffee Grounds on Saucer
In order to be able to read the coffee grounds on the saucer you need a minor preparation.
Swirl the saucer for even layering sediments and drain into the cup. Make a wish.
Save a drop of the grounds. Hold the saucer vertically. As a result, this drop will start falling at the back.
-If it makes a long trail your wish will come true, short one means failure.
You can interpret the shapes on the saucer exactly as of the cup. Its large surface prevents symbols from having in depth correlation.
The Symbols in Turkish Coffee Fortune
A lot of people want to dive into coffee symbolism. The symbols in Turkish coffee fortune are not sharp pictures or illustrations.
You can find them spread all over the cup. You must use your vision and imagination to bring them out.
The interpretation will follow. There are many coffee fortune telling symbols which are self explanatory.
For example: “heart” means love; “purse” means money; “ring” means marriage.
- DO NOT try to interpret just isolated symbols (as shown above). To put it another way, the surroundings of the symbol are very important in determining its correct meaning.
Also, have in mind that every reader has his/her own technique for coffee cup reading symbols.
1. OBSERVE with concentration
2. Use IMAGINATION & PERSONAL INSTINCTS
3. INTERPRET the symbol.
Nevertheless, to become a good Turkish coffee cup reader you need intuition (which is mostly a charisma). Furthermore, excellent knowledge of the meanings of coffee symbols is definitely a must requirement.
To sum up, logical link of symbols’ meanings is crucial in order to have the anticipating success.
Do you want to see actual images of certain objects in the sediments of a Turkish coffee cup?
You can check my Pinterest board for authentic coffee cup symbols I revealed for customers.
You will find plenty of real photos taken from people who contacted me in order to interpret their cups.
Turkish Coffee Fortune Telling Symbols – Short List
In conclusion, building an ultimate and true list of Turkish coffee reading symbols is extremely difficult. Many of them have various illustrations. Their meanings rather depend heavily on the surrounding symbols.
Universal symbol meaning:
- Letters of alphabet can mean initials of: someone’s name (could be an enemy as well) or place.
- You can interpret numbers as dates, time or age.
Below you can check 20 actual coffee symbols that I found in email readings that I did for customers. Here, I give you just a short indication of the interpretation connected with the symbol.
Pleasure or a jealous female
A loved one worries about you
You can rely on friends to help you
Wrong friend in your environment
Positive progress in family issues
Secure financial future
Female enemy, jealousy
Money/gift or news is coming to you
Temporary obstacle in your success
You will be helped by a friend
Troubles ahead but fine outcome
Passion and love
|Love, friendship, faith, trust and romance
|Long-lasting love relationship
|Confusing friendship. Friend turns against you
Success at something or changing home
Find your balance, endless love
Reading Turkish Coffee Final Step
Finally, the reading will end with a call from the reader to stamp the grounds with your finger. The created symbol will represent your personality.
Insert your right thumb at the bottom of the cup. Twist it gently clockwise. It will create new images in the cup.
In this case, these shapes are a part of your character explaining feelings and thoughts.